VIRTUAL TRAINING: Duke-UNC Breathe Easy NC: Becoming Tobacco Free (8.75 CME hours)
Breathe Easy NC: Becoming Tobacco Free 1-Day Virtual Training (8.75 CME hours)
November 17, 2021, 12:00-5:00pm ET
This training will assist behavioral health leaders and practitioners to make behavioral health facilities 100% tobacco free and with improving their skills to provide evidence-based tobacco use treatment concurrently with mental health and substance use disorder treatment. Providers will receive the information and skills they need to prepare for the NC Medicaid tobacco-free policy requirement that goes into effect July 1, 2022.
Participants will learn about FDA approved tobacco treatment medication with behavioral interventions and how to deploy them in behavioral health settings. Participants will engage with professional ethics and learn how they fit with tobacco use treatment, as well as trauma-informed tobacco use treatment and policies. Then, through experiential training methods, participants will develop policy planning and implementation skills as well as quality improvement skills to integrate tobacco treatment into the behavioral health system.
Part 1: Prerecorded Video Modules on Tobacco Treatment and Control and Standard of Care Evidence-Based Tobacco Treatment:
- Why Here/Why This/Why Now?
- Combination Strategies for Tobacco Treatment
- Pharmacotherapy Agents
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Motivational Interviewing
- Foundational Behavioral Therapy in Special Populations
- The Roadmap to Successful Change
Part 2: Live, virtual course session (via Zoom), November 17, 2021, 12:00-5:00pm:
- Welcome and introductions
- An Ethical Approach to Tobacco Treatment in Mental Health and Substance Use Disorder Settings
- Motivational Interviewing w/interactive discussion about ethics
- Moderated panel presentation
- Tobacco Free Policy – The Roadmap Demystified: An Interactive Session
- Integrating Policy and Treatment in Diverse Behavioral Health Settings
- How QuitlineNC works/How to do referrals to QuitlineNC
- Practical Approaches and Cases
- Summary and Conclusion
Cost: $150 for NC healthcare professionals ($300 for participants outside of NC).
**Anyone, regardless of geographic region, is eligible to participate in the course. Some content is designed specifically to assist NC behavioral health facilities go tobacco free; however, the majority of the course content is applicable across many settings.**