Frequently Asked Questions by Tobacco Treatment Specialists: Certification and Continuing Education

How do I get a TTS Certification?

  • Currently the only national credential for TTS is the National Certificate in Tobacco Treatment Practice (NCTTP). For details on how to obtain the certificate go to This is a one-time certificate and does not require CEU’s. If the training program you completed offers a different credential you will need to get the details from the program.

Do I need to get continuing education hours to provide tobacco treatment?

  • Professional development is a core competency for tobacco treatment practice. To provide the best service to clients the TTS has a responsibility to stay up to date and refresh skills.

What topics would benefit me in my practice as tobacco treatment specialist?

  • The standards of practice for tobacco treatment specialists list the content areas that are required for evidence-based tobacco treatment practice. Enhanced and more in-depth education in any of these areas would benefit your practice.
  • Go to NCTTP Application to review all competencies.

Are there credible resources that the CTTTP recommends for continuing education in tobacco treatment?

  • The CTTTP website lists accredited continuing education programs, other opportunities and some resources that can be used to seek out continuing education.

Are there continuing education opportunities in tobacco treatment in different regions outside the U.S.?

  • This is an area of growth. As programs become available, they will be listed on the CTTTP website.

What do I do with certificates of completion from continuing education programs?

  • This is managed by organizations that provide TTS credentialing. Check with the organization directly for guidance. The CTTTP only accredits programs, it does not provide credentialing for individuals.

Can I attend a continuing education program that is not accredited by CTTTP?

  • Yes, currently accreditation of continuing education programs is voluntary. You may notify the CTTTP of programs that you would like to be accredited and we will reach out to them and provide them information about accreditation.
  • If you hold a TTS credential that requires CE credits you will need to contact your credentialing organization for rules about how to apply CE credits after attending a non-accredited program.

Contact The Council for Tobacco Treatment Training Programs at with any questions.

Scroll to Top